This content is part of a series.
Do You Know That You Are A Servant To Someone Or Something? (5 of 7)
Series: Know Ye Not
1. A Controlled Life
a) Two Rulers
b) Two Results
2. A Changed Life
a) A Change in Control
b) A Change in Conduct
3. A Consecrated Life
a) A Life Governed By a New Master
b) A Life Guided By a New Motive
1. As we continue looking at the Know Ye Not's of the New Testament, I want us to look at the second that is found in Romans 6. In our last study we looked at Romans 6:3 where Paul asks, "Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?" Paul asks once again in Romans 6, "Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?"
2. As we shall see, Paul tells us that we are all slaves. The word "servants" literally means "bondman" and refers to being a slave voluntary or involuntary. Slavery had a long history in the ancient world and people of Paul's day would have quickly related to Paul's image of a bondman.
3. Slavery in the Roman Empire was common, though not based on race. Slaves in Rome included prisoners of war as well as slaves bought outside Roman territory. It was not uncommon for desperate Roman citizens to sell their children into slavery to pay off debts or raise money. Roman slaves and their families were considered property of their owners. They could sell or rent them out at any time. They could even kill them for any reason without facing punishment.
4. In Paul usage of the image of a slave he asks the Roman believers (and us as well) if they knew that they were a slave. Do you know that you are a slave? You are either a slave to someone or something. Let's look at this Know Ye Not by first considering:
1. A CONTROLLED LIFE
1. It is estimated that the population of Rome was about one-third slaves. It is likely that more than half of the Ro ...
There are 16454 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.