This content is part of a series.
Demas - The Story of a Backslider (3 of 18)
Series: Getting Acquainted with People of the New Testament
2 Timothy 4:9-10
1. A STORY OF DEVOTION
a) Paul's Assessment of His Walk with the Lord
b) Paul's Appreciation of His Work for the Lord
2. A STORY OF DESERTION
a) He Left the Work of God
b) He Limited the Work of God
3. A STORY OF DISTRACTION
a) A Fascination with Earthly Things
b) A Forgetting of Eternal Things
1. I have been preaching for over thirty-six years and I have seen many come and go. I can think of many who were at one time so excited about serving God. They never missed a service. You could count on them being in Church Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night and any other time there were services. They were some of the best workers in the Church. But today they are nowhere to be found. They are out of Church and away from the Lord.
2. J.C. Ryle said: ''It is a miserable thing to be a backslider. Of all unhappy things that can befall a man, I suppose 'backsliding' is the worst. A stranded ship, a broken-winged eagle, a garden overrun with weeds, a harp without strings, a church in ruins-all these are sad sights. But a backslider is a sadder sight still.''
3. Perhaps the most miserable person in the world is a backslidden Christian. It certainly is sad to see those who once living for Jesus but now are away from Him. As I continue looking at people in the New Testament, I want to look a backslider. His name is Demas.
4. Demas is mentioned three times in the New Testament; Colossians 4:14, Philemon 1:24 and in our text, 2 Timothy 4:9. His name means ''popular.'' He was perhaps one that easily made friends and people enjoyed being around. Perhaps, his name suggests that he was well known and well respected by others, especially those in the Church. It may be that he was a member and Christian that was known by many because of the kind of Christian he was.
5. For whatever reason he w ...
There are 15317 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.