This content is part of a series.
Pure Love - True Love (3 of 20)
Series: Song of Solomon
Song of Solomon 2:3-7
Introduction: I have been told that some have been waiting for this night ever since I began my ''through the Bible series.'' Some of you have been wondering what I will do with the Song of Solomon. Any of you familiar with the Bible know what I am talking about. The Song of Solomon or Song of Songs or Canticles, the Latin title, is unique among the sixty-six books of the Bible. Ultimately the book is about the committed love and physical attraction between a husband and wife.
To better appreciate this theme I thought it might be good to begin by considering some alternatives to the loving, romantic relationship between the Lover and the Beloved of the Song of Solomon. From the files of ''The World's Worst Jokes,'' I offer a couple of items not found in the Song of Solomon.
First, Top Ten Statements You Will Not Hear from the Lover and the Beloved:
1. My beloved and I have the secret to making a marriage last: Two times a week, we go to a nice restaurant, have a little wine, some good food, and companionship. She goes Tuesdays; I go Fridays.
2. We also sleep in separate beds. Hers is in Florida and mine is in Cincinnati.
3. I asked my beloved where she wanted to go for our anniversary. ''Somewhere I haven't been in a long time!'' she said. So I suggested the kitchen.
4. We always hold hands. If I let go, she shops.
5. My beloved has an electric blender, electric toaster, and electric bread maker. Then she said, ''There are too many gadgets, and no place to sit down!'' So I bought her an electric chair.
6. My beloved got a mudpack and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.
7. I married Miss Right. I just didn't know her first name was Always.
8. I haven't spoken to my beloved for 18 months. I don't like to interrupt her.
9. Our last fight was my fault. My Beloved asked, ''What's on the TV?'' I said, ''Dust!''
10. Finally, the Belov ...
There are 19091 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.