This content is part of a series.
Let Us Be Reminded (1 of 7)
Series: The Book of 2 Peter
2 Peter 1:1-12
INTRODUCTION: Last week, we concluded our study of I Peter. This evening, we will begin our study of II Peter. Before we do, let's note a few things:
1. The author is Peter: (Vs. 1), ''Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ...''
2. The date is said to be around 66 A. D.
3. The recipients were the same people to whom Peter had written in his last letter-those scattered throughout the Roman Empire.
4. The reason for the letter was to encourage the saints to be true to their faith and to study the Scriptures, so as not to be taken in by false prophets and the false teachers of the day.
With that brief background, let's consider a couple of things from the first part of chapter one:
I. Peter's Greeting
II. Our Diligence
I. PETER'S GREETING (VV. 1-4)
Peter's greeting is first of all to those of...
A. Like Precious Faith (vs. 1)
1. What makes our faith so precious? What is it about the Christian faith that makes it so valuable, so cherished-that people are even willing to die for it (as did many of the people to whom Peter wrote)? It is because we have had the righteousness of God imparted to us through our Lord Jesus Christ. Paul writes in 1 Cor. 1:30, But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption.
a. Man without God is lost in sin-hopelessly lost and without power to change his condition. Romans 3:23 declares: ''For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.''
b. Thank God, the story doesn't end with (vs. 3), it continues on with (vv. 24-26), Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:  Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;  To declare, I say, at this time his rig ...
There are 8591 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.