A Mother's Great Gift
2 Timothy 1:1-5
You may not know the name Anna Javis, but she was the first one to suggest having a national observance of an annual day honoring all mothers because she had loved her mother so much.
At a memorial service for her mother on May 10, 1908, she gave a carnation, which was her mother's favorite flower, to every person who attended. Well, the idea of honoring mothers soon caught on and on May 9, 1914 by an act of congress, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed the second Sunday in May as Mother's Day. He established it as a time for ''public expression of our love and reverence for the mothers of our country.''
So, why did God make Mothers? Well, here is how some 2nd graders answered the following questions:
1.Q: Why did God make mothers? The top answers: ''Mostly to clean the house'' and ''to help us out of there when we were getting born.''
2. Q: Why did God give you Your mother and not some other mom? The top answers: ''We're related'' and ''God knew she like me a lot more than other people's mom like me.''
3. Q: Why did your mom marry your dad? Top answers: ''She got too old to do anything else with him'' and ''My grandma says that Mom didn't have her thinking cap on.''
4. Q: Who is the boss at your house? Top answer: ''I guess Mom is, but only because she has a lot more to do than Dad.''
5. Q: What does your mom do in her spare time? Top Answer: ''Mothers don't do spare time.''
6. Q: What would it take to make your mom perfect? Top answer: ''On the inside she's already perfect. Outside, I think some kind of plastic surgery.'' Well, there you have it straight from some brilliant second graders!
Now the Bible is filled with some great women who became great mothers. For instance, there was Sarah the Mother of Isaac and Ishamael. Rebecca, the Mother of Jacob. Rachel, the Mother of Joseph. Jochebed, the Mother of Moses, Aaron and Miriam. These were mighty women of faith that raised you ...
There are 11900 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.