This content is part of a series.
May 13, 2001
Was your mom like mine? My mother passed away four years ago after a year-long battle with cancer and five years of loneliness after my father passed away. Mom was the youngest of nearly a dozen children. She never finished high school, married when she was eighteen, and worked hard all her life. She was a farm wife for the first twenty years or so of her married life. Most of you know what kind of life that was back in the 50's and 60's. Eventually she would take a job off the farm, working for many years in a factory making vacuum sweepers.
Mom may not have had much formal education, but she was certainly an alumna of the school of hard knocks. And she would have been the first to tell you so! She was a small woman with a big heart and a huge sense of indignation if anyone mistreated someone, especially one of her three boys. She was never intimidated by wealth or position. Those who knew her well were familiar with her fiery disposition. I remember sitting with my two brothers on the front row in the local funeral home in LeRoy, Illinois. It was raining that early June day. Just as the visitation ended and everyone was seated as Mom's funeral was beginning, a huge clap of thunder shook the building. My four-year-younger-than-me brother leaned forward in his seat, turned toward me and said, "Mom's arrived!"
If your mother is at all like mine was she taught you a lot. I can identify as many of you can with this list of The Top Ten Lessons My Mother Taught Me:
10. My mother taught me Logic: Because I said so, that's why.
9. My mother taught me Foresight: Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident.
8. My mother taught me about Time Travel: If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!
7. My mother taught me Irony: Keep laughing and I'll give you something to cry about.
6. My mother taught me the science of Osmosis: Shu ...
There are 12810 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.