This content is part of a series.
James -- The Passionate Apostle (4 of 15)
TWELVE WHO CHANGED THE WORLD
MATTHEW 10:2 (CSV) - These are the names of the 12 apostles: First, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;
Mark 3:17; 5:37 -- (17) and to James the son of Zebedee, and to his brother John, He gave the name "Boanerges" (that is, "Sons of Thunder") (37) He did not let anyone accompany Him except Peter, James,
and John, James' brother.
I. THE FOUNDATION OF JAMES
A. The Family of James
1. James most famous relative was his brother John, a very well-known disciple of Christ.
2. James is never mentioned in the New Testament apart from his brother John, but he is mentioned first in the Gospels when the two are mentioned together.
3. James' father was Zebedee and his mother was Salome, who was a sister of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
B. The Fishing of James
1. James was a fisherman by trade, in business with his father Zebedee and brother, John.
2. Peter was one of their business partners in fishing.
Mark 1:19-20 -- (19) Going on a little farther, He saw James the son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in their boat mending their nets. (20) Immediately He called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and
Luke 5:10 - and so were James and John, Zebedee's sons, who were Simon's partners. "Don't be afraid," Jesus told Simon. "From now on you will be catching people!"
C. The Fellows of James
1. James, the son of Alphaeus, who was one of the twelve, sometimes referred to as "James the less."
Mark 15:40 -- There were also women looking on from a distance. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salome.
2. James, the Lord's brother -- Scripture reports that Christ had at least four half-broth ...
There are 9808 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.