The Prescription Jesus Had for this Church
February 11. 2007
1. The Problem Jesus Had with this Church!
A) He is Disgusted with their Condition
B) He is Disappointed with their Complacency
2. The Place Jesus Had in this Church!
A) The Position He Desires
B) The Preeminence He Deserves
C) The Promise He Declares
3. The Prescription Jesus Had for this Church!
A) Renew their Spiritual Values
B) Renew their Spiritual Vision
D) Renew their Spiritual Vigor
I read an interesting piece the other day called, "YOUR CHURCH MIGHT BE A REDNECK CHURCH IF . . ."
- People ask when Jesus fed 5000, whether the two fish were bass or catfish, and what bait was used to catch 'em.
- The pastor says, "I'd like to ask Bubba to help take up the offering," Then, five guys and two women stand up.
- Opening day of deer season is recognized as an official church holiday.
- A member of the church requests to be buried in his 4-wheel-drive truck because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
- With a congregation of 500 members, there are only seven last names in the church directory.
- Baptism is referred to as "branding."
- People think "Rapture" is what you get when you lift something too heavy.
As you look at the 7 churches of Revelation you discover that some of the churches were Glad churches, and others were Bad churches. However, the church of Laodicea wasn't a glad or a bad church, it was a SAD church. It was a church that made God sick.
From an outward observation, it was a church that would be attended by many people today. They had everything money could buy. They had the finest of buildings, the flashiest of budgets and the formalities of business.
In Revelation 2-3 we find a stack of letters, 7 in all, that were dictated by Jesus and delivered by John to 7 churches of Asia Minor. You can view these churches historically, prophetically or typically.
IN other w ...
There are 18372 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.