This content is part of a series.
Growing Up (6 of 22)
Series: What's Real and What's Not (I John)
Dr. Chuck McAlister
I John 2:12-14
INTRO: SERIES: What's Real and What's Not!
(A) John ... the disciple who could say "Been there - done that"!
1- The ministry of Jesus ... the miracles of Jesus ... the cross ... the resurrection ... the birth of the church ... the spreading out of the church over the known world ... the writing of God's Word ... John was there!
2- The future ... the coming of the Antichrist ... the one world government ... the return of Jesus ... the millennium ... the great white throne judgment ... the New Jerusalem and heaven .. John was there. He'd been there and done that!
* Some 60 or more years after the crucifixion ... living in Ephesus as an old man ... John writes the final books of God's Word!
* Who is better qualified to tell us "What's Real and What's Not"!
(B) JOHN ... telling us ... What's real about life ... man's dilemma ... salvation ... love!
1- Then ... John stops suddenly ... He's told us to keep the commandments ... to know we're saved ... to love the brethren
2- Then he stops and interrupts these appeals to show us how to grow up ... as Christians.
3- To show us what real Christian growth is all about!
- Young woman ... great tragedy in life ... crushing weight of tragedy had literally broken her life ... burden was so great that praise gave way to bitterness in her heart.
- Finally said one day to friend, "Oh, I would to God that I had never been made!"
- Her wise friend replied, "But my dear friend, you are not made yet; you are only being made, and you are quarreling with God's process."
(C) As a Christian ... you are in the process of being made ... you are GROWING UP!
1- Paul said it:
Phil. 2:12-13 " ......work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure."
2- i.e.. ... Being saved ... and living it out is a process ...
There are 19946 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.