This content is part of a series.
How to Get up Close and Personal with People (12 of 20)
Series: STRENGTH FOR THE JOURNEY: PHILIPPIANS
Dr. Chuck McAlister
(A) .... Series .... STRENGTH FOR THE JOURNEY.... study Philippians.
1- Bible says .... Neh. 8:10 "... the joy of the Lord is your strength."
2- Paul was strong for the journey .... because he knew the joy of the Lord.
a- Paul's joy grew out of his personal relationship with the Lord .... which brought Paul: His Purpose For Life (Ch. 1) ... and His Pattern For Life (Ch. 2).
b- Under house arrest .... chained to 2 Roman guards ... 24/7 .... waiting to appear before Caesar.
c- Unity with other believers enhances your joy .... ensures your fulfillment:
(1) - 2 :1-4 .... You must be humble to have this unity.
(2) - 2:5-11 .... Jesus -- our pattern .... shows us how to be humble.
(3) - 2:12-13 .... There are changes you and I must be willing to make to grow more like Jesus .... Jesus empowers you to make that change.
(4) - 2:14-18 .... Then you help others change as you let Jesus use you to make a difference in the lives of those around you.
3- To do that .... you must move beyond superficial, surface relationships .... you must be willing to get up close and personal with people.
* Look at how to have a real relationship with others.
* READ TEXT
-- If you're not a physician .... you've probably never heard the name William Osler.
.... He was a doctor and university professor whose book, Principles and Practices of Medicine, influenced the preparation of physicians for more than 40 years in the entire English speaking world, China, and Japan.
-- But his passion was to teach doctors how to keep compassion in their practices.
-- He once told a group of medical students:
"There is a strong feeling abroad among people .... that we (doctors) care much more for the disease ... than for the individual ... I would urge upon y ...
There are 27622 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.