This content is part of a series.
Can't Get No Satisfaction (10 of 10)
Series: Homeland Security
1. It came to guitarist, Keith Richards, literally in the middle of the night. He woke up, recorded the lyrics on a cassette tape player and went back to sleep. Three weeks later, the Rolling Stones recorded that song and it became their first number one hit, both in the United Kingdom and in the United States and it became their launching pad to fame. Mick Jagger, who wrote the lyrics to the song, said at the time it simply expressed his frustration with the consumerism and commercialism he found in the United States.
2. In forty years, nothing has changed. You could almost make this song the national anthem of our nation. In the last twenty years, the quote, ''jet-set'' has become the ''debt-set.'' The new slogan seemingly has become ''buy now, pay maybe.'' Newsweek Magazine once said that people today can be divided into three classes:
- The Haves
- The Have-Nots
- The Have-Nots-Paid-For-What-They-Haves
3. Will Rogers was the one who famously said, ''We spend money we don't have, to buy things we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.'' Why do we do that? Why is it that most of us, no matter how much we have can't seem to get no satisfaction? There are people living on Madison Avenue in New York City, who make six figures, trying to figure out how they can make us want more and more and more. The problem comes in one word that is seldom used, but much abused and it is the word ''covetousness''. The famous slogan of American Express is ''Don't leave home without it.'' The problem is if some people don't leave home without it, they are going to be without a home. I read where one man once said, ''If my wife doesn't go shopping at least three times a week I send her a get well card.''
4. Over the next two months, you are going to be bombarded with Christmas advertising and Christmas catalogs. Though you won't hear the word ''co ...
There are 21040 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.