1. Robert Wells wrote a book entitled, ''Is A Blue Whale The Biggest Thing There Is?'' It is a children's book to help little ones see just how big the universe really is.
2. The largest animal on earth is the blue whale. Just the flippers on its tail are bigger than most animals on earth, but a blue whale isn't anywhere near as big as a mountain. If you could put one-hundred blue whales inside of a huge jar, you could millions of those whale jars inside of a hollowed out Mt. Everest.
3. But Mt. Everest isn't anywhere near as big as the earth. If you stack one-hundred
Mt. Everests on top of one another it would be just a whisker on the face of the earth. The earth isn't anywhere near as big as the sun. You could fit one-million earths inside of the sun.
4. But the sun isn't anywhere near as big as a red, super-giant star called, ''Antares.'' You could fit 50 million of our suns inside Antares. But Antares isn't anywhere near as big as the Milky Way galaxy. Billions of stars, including super-stars, like Antares make up the Milky Way galaxy.
5. The Milky Way galaxy isn't anywhere near as big as the universe. There are billions of other galaxies in the universe. Yet filled with billions of galaxies, the universe is almost totally empty. The distances from one galaxy to another are beyond human calculation. Yet, we are told in this psalm that the one who created it all, spoke it into being and sustains it with His power.
6. The only thing that does justice to the greatness of God is God Himself. In this psalm David tells us more about God than we are told practically anywhere else in the Bible and tells us ''How Great Is Our God''.
I. God Is Omniscient - He Knows Me
1. The word ''omniscient'' comes from the Latin ''omni'' which means ''all'' and the Latin word, ''scientia'' which means ''to know.'' It literally means ''all knowing.'' God knows everything about everything and everyone all of the time. Have you ever been around anybody who acted like a ''know-it-all?'' With God it is not acting. He is the true ''know-it-all.'' I John 3:20 says,
''God is greater than our heart and knows all things.'' (I John 3:20, NASB)
2. God is just like your teenager; you can't tell Him anything, because He already knows it all. Understand that God's knowledge is not just intellectual; it is personal. God, because He is omniscient knows you. He knows you better than you know you and that is a frightening thought if you think about it.
3. I heard about a prosecuting attorney in a small town who was trying a case. He called as his first witness an elderly woman, who lived in the town all of her life and happened to be the nosiest gossip around. He said to her, ''Mrs. Jones, do you know me?''
4. She said, ''Why yes I know you Mr. Williams. I've known you since you were a young boy.'' He smiled until she said, ''And frankly you've been a big disappointment to me. Yo ...
There are 15713 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
SermonSearch.com is an online resource for sermon outlines and preaching ideas. We offer 30,000+ sermon outlines and 10,000+ free sermon illustrations from top Christian pastors and communicators. You'll write powerful and fresh sermons every week with our sermon preparation tools on a number of sermon topics, including expository preaching.