The Great Commission
March 26, 2006
1. What is the Great Commission? The Great Commission is spelled out for us here in Mark 16:15. The Lord told the disciples to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. Keep in mind, this command is not just for the 12 disciples, but it is for all disciples. The word disciple simply means; one who follows another. All of God's people are His disciples. It takes more that 12 people to evangelize the world. So, then, that means that I am a disciple, you are a disciple, the person sitting next to you is a disciple, and the same is true with believers in every part of the world.
2. When we become Christians, we become responsible to tell others the wonderful news we have received. It says in 2 Cor. 5:20, Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
a. When the Lord saved the man possessed of a demon, here's what He said; "Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee. And he departed, and began to publish in Decapolis how great things Jesus had done for him: and all men did marvel" (Mark 5:19-20).
3. So, then, if all believers are disciples and if all disciples are to carry out the great commission, that means that everyone is involved in winning the lost, right? Wrong!
QUOTE: It may or may not surprise you to know that according to those who do the studies, it is estimated that probably 95% of all church members have never led anyone to Christ.
QUOTE: In 1994, the Barna Research Group, a Christian organization, found that among American adults who said that they were "born again," seventy-five percent couldn't even define the Great Commission.1
QUOTE: Fred M. Barlow lived from 1921 to 1983. He was a pastor, theologian and prolific writer. He said,
When denominations, when churches, when individual Christians lose their vision, their passion, their purpose for soul winning: when they cease from their intercession and visitation for souls, you be sure the Lord God will write "Ichabod" over that ministry and take away the light of that testimony. Souls, as sheep without a shepherd, will become strayed, stolen, and prey for every beast of the field, for every ism, every sect, and every cult that deceives, deludes and damns souls to a Devil's Hell!
4. As we consider the Great Commission this morning, let me give you three things...
I. IF CHRISTIANS DO NOT TELL THEM NO ONE ELSE WILL
A. It is every man's responsibility
1. God did not commission the angels to spread the gospel; He commissioned us. No one else will be telling people about Jesus. It is up to us. We have the truth.
a. And if we don't tell them, the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses will. The cults are busy doing the devil's dirty work--turning people aside from the tr ...
There are 10111 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
Price:$4.99 or 1 credit
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!
SermonSearch.com is an online resource for sermon outlines and preaching ideas. We offer 30,000+ sermon outlines and 10,000+ free sermon illustrations from top Christian pastors and communicators. You'll write powerful and fresh sermons every week with our sermon preparation tools on a number of sermon topics, including expository preaching.