This content is part of a series.
There's Got to be a Better Way (7 of 13)
Series: A Closer Look at the Book Ecclesiastes
Steve N. Wagers
August 28, 2005
1. A Better Way to EXAMINE PERSONAL Troubles!
A. The Legacy We should Leave!
B. The Lessons We should Learn!
2. A Better Way to EXPLAIN PERPLEXING Truths!
A. Needed Correction!
B. Heeded Correction!
3. A Better Way to EXPECT PERPETUAL Triumphs!
A. The Virtue of a Patient Life!
B. The Value of a Productive Life!
1. The May 2002 issue of Fast Company tells the stories of five people who worked for Enron, the company that in 2001 filed for the largest bankruptcy in U.S. history. One person profiled in that article was Phyllis Anzalone. She went to work for the company in 1996 selling energy supply contracts. Her personal earnings quickly went to six figures. She says, "As devastating as it was, I'm glad I did it. It was like being on steroids every day."
2. But when Enron went bankrupt, she lost roughly one million dollars. She says, "The whole Enron debacle was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. I was so emotionally attached to that company, and it took so much life out of me that it turned a better life into a bitter life." 
3. A little boy who lived far out in the country in the late 1800s had reached the age of twelve and had never in all his life seen a circus. You can imagine his excitement, when one day a poster went up at school announcing that on the next Saturday a traveling circus was coming to the nearby town. He ran home with the glad news and the question, "Daddy, can I go?" Although the family was poor, the father sensed how important this was to the lad. "If you do your Saturday chores ahead of time," he said, "I'll see to it that you have the money to go."'
4. Come Saturday morning, the chores were done and the little boy stood by the breakfast table, dressed in his Sunday best. His father reached down into the pocket of his overalls and pulle ...
There are 23781 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.