This content is part of a series.
The Man Who Was Favored by God (2 of 3)
Series: A Closer Look at the Life of Enoch
Steve N. Wagers
October 23, 2005
1. The EXAMPLE of a DEVOTED MAN!
A) A Life of Faithfulness!
B) A Life of Fruitfulness!
2. The ESCAPE of a DISTINCT MAN!
A) His Notable Translation!
B) His New Location!
3. The EPITAPH of a DESIRABLE MAN!
A) A Specific Testimony!
B) A Special Testimony!
1. His initials were W.W., and in the 1930s and 1940s they were enough to identify him to most of America. He was widely considered the creator of modern gossip writing, and in his heyday this rude, abrasive, egotistical and witty man was the country's best known and most widely read journalist and one of its most influential.
2. In 1943, when there were 140 million people in the United States, more than 50 million of them read his gossip column every day in more than 1000 newspapers, including his flagship, The New York Daily Mirror. Even more people listened to his weekly radio broadcast. Hated, feared and revered, he presided over Table 50 of the Stork Club in New York, creating and destroying celebrities at the drop of his trademark gray snap-brim fedora.
3. Yet when he died in 1972, at age 74, he was practically forgotten. Only two people attended his funeral; his daughter, Walda, and the rabbi who officiated at his services. Today, not many people under 40 even know the name of Walter Winchell.
4. An older couple had trouble remembering common, day-to-day things. They both decided that they would write down requests the other had, and so try to avoid forgetting. One evening the wife asked if the husband would like anything. He replied, "Yes, I'd like a large ice-cream sundae with chocolate ice cream, whipped cream and a cherry on top."
5. The wife started off for the kitchen and the husband shouted after her, "Aren't you going to write it down?" She hollered back, "Don't be silly. I'm going to fix it right now. I won't forget." Sh ...
There are 22534 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.