Let's Roll Up Our Sleeves and Go To Work!
Steve N. Wagers
September 4, 2005
1. A Feat that Overwhelmed Them!
A) An Amazing Task
B) An Alarming Threat
2. A Force that Overtook Them!
A) Distraction from Without
B) Discouragement from Within
3. A Future that Overjoyed Them!
A) The Vision that the People Shared
B) The Victory that the People Saw
1. Each day across the USA 50,000 people quit their jobs. In a recent survey of workers across the USA, nearly 85% said that they could work harder on the job. More than half claimed they could double their effectiveness "if (they) wanted to."
2. Time theft--deliberate waste and abuse of company time costs the U.S. economy over $120 billion a year. This loss is three times more than it is for recognized business crime. At some companies 20-40% of employee time is stolen. Office employees are 30% worse than blue-collar workers, perhaps because supervision isn't as close. Workers under 30 are the biggest offenders.
3. A first grader became curious because her father brought home a briefcase full of papers every evening. Her mother explained, "Daddy has so much to do that he can't finish it all at the office. That's why he has to bring work home at night." "Well then," asked the child innocently, "why don't they put him in a slower group?"
4. The CEO of a large corporation was asked, "How many people work in your company?" The dry-witted leader replied, "Not many." During some desperate times, a zoo advertised for needed help. A well-built man was rather disappointed to find the only job left was that of impersonating a gorilla. The gorilla had died, and the zoo was expecting some VIP visitors so they needed an impostor. Money was tight, so he took the job. All went well for the first few hours--until the heat started taking its toll. As he tried to swing from one tree to another, he lost his grip and went flying into the lion's den. He immediately started shouting, ...
There are 22181 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.