This content is part of a series.
What We Believe About the Church! (6 of 9)
Series: Baptist Beliefs
Steve N. Wagers
July 27, 2005
1. The Foundation of the Church!
A. It is Founded by Christ!
B. It is Founded upon Christ!
1. The Power of the Church
2. The Preaching of the Church
2. The Force of the Church!
A. A Place of Sovereign Direction!
B. A Place of Sacred Devotion!
3. The Function of the Church!
A. A Building!
B. A Body!
C. A Bride!
1. One of today's oldest churches is in Swan Quarter, North Carolina. The original church was built in 1834. It is a church with a wonderful and unique history. Before it was built, the congregation had its eye on a plot of land that they desired to build their sanctuary. However, the landowner refused to sell the land; particularly, because he wanted nothing to do with a church. Thus, the church settled to build on a piece of land that was its second choice.
2. Two years later, after the building was built, a violent storm hit the community. The storm was so destructive that homes were destroyed, trees were uprooted and massive damage was caused. Even the church building itself was lifted off of its foundation and carried more than 300 feet.
3. When the storm was over, and the smoke settled, they found something very interesting: the church had landed upon the exact plot of ground that it wanted to build on in the first place. The congregation did not believe this to be an accident, and so the name of the church was changed to, "The House of God MOVED by the Hand of God!"
4. I submit unto you that of all the other organizations and institutions that have ever been built, there is none greater than the church of the Lord Jesus Christ. It has been, and will continue to be, like this ancient church, the house of God moved by the hand of God.
5. John Calvin said, "The noblest triumph which God ever gained was when Christ, subduing sin, conquering ...
There are 18245 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.