Safe in the Arms of Jesus
August 14, 2005
1. THE PRESENT GOD
A) The Actuality of God
B) The Activity of God
2. THE PERSONAL GOD
A) The Relationship Man Can Have With God
B) The Fellowship Man Can Have With God
3. THE POWERFUL GOD
A) God of Eternity
B) God of Security
C) God of Ability
1. I have always enjoyed and appreciated the hymns of Fanny Crosby. Although physically blind from six weeks old, her spiritual sight was exceptional. She wrote more than 8,000 hymns, many that remain popular today. I doubt there is a Sunday that goes that her hymns are not being sung around the world.
2. Whenever I read our text I think of her hymn entitled "Safe in the Arms of Jesus." In fact, it was our text that inspired the song:
Safe in the arms of Jesus,
Safe on His gentle breast,
There by His love o'reshaded,
Sweetly my soul shall rest.
3. As we look at the text that inspired this great hymn, in verse 26, Moses speaks of how special is the Lord. He says, "There is none like unto the God of Jeshurun." Jeshurun is a poetic name for Israel that means "upright" or "straight." Israel, as they walked in the ways of God, had found that there was none like the Lord. For all who walk upright and walk the straight paths of the Lord, they have found that there is no one like Him. I have met and know many wonderful people, but none like the Lord. He is in a class all to Himself.
4. He not only speaks of how special is the Lord, but also of how sufficient is the Lord. He continues in verse 26 by saying our God is the One, "Who rideth upon the heaven in thy help." He is a God Who comes to help us in our time of need. He is the God Who rides through the heavens to help us. The idea is that of God rushing to our side in a time of need.
5. I have often heard people say of another, "He" or "She was always there when I needed them." Our God is always there when we need Him. He is as the Psalmist said in Psalm 46:1, ...
There are 20561 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.