This content is part of a series.
A Song for Yesterday (1 of 4)
Series: Soul Music
1. I am beginning a series of messages today that I am calling ''Soul Music.'' There is the type of music that appeals to the ear; I call that soothing music. There is the type of music that appeals to the flesh; I call that sensual music, but there is also the kind of music that appeals to the heart; I call that ''Soul Music.''
2. There is one thing that we know about our God and that is He is a God of song. He loves music. Did you know that the world was literally created to the sound of music? At its creation, we are told
''The morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy.'' (Job 38:7, NASB)
When Jesus Christ was born an angelic choir sang,
''Glory to God in the highest'' (Luke 2:14, NASB)
3. Martin Luther was exactly right when he said, ''Next to the word of God, music deserves the highest praise.'' There is no doubt that God has cast His vote in favor of songs and music. There are sixty-six books in the Bible and the longest book is dedicated to the hymns of the Hebrews. Both Judaism and Christianity are faiths filled with songs. There are so many references to music and singing in the Psalms that they have been called ''Israel's hymnbook''. In fact, the word ''Psalm'' actually means ''song'' referring to a song sung to the accompaniment of a psaltery, an ancient stringed instrument.
4. Before I go any further, I want you to think about something that someone called to my attention just this past week. We know that when we read the Psalms we are actually reading songs, but isn't it interesting that God did not see fit to preserve the tunes of those songs. We don't know how they sounded, because that is not what is important to God. What is important to God are the words and the message that the song conveys. That is something that we all need to keep in mind as we think about church music.
5. One of the most foolish things I ...
There are 20007 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.