This content is part of a series.
Wise or Otherwise! (12 of 19)
Series: A Closer Look at the Book: JAMES
Steve N. Wagers
April 24, 2005
1. A Demonstration of Proper Wisdom!
A. It is Revealed by our Actions!
B. It is Reflected in our Attitudes!
2. A Depiction of Poor Wisdom!
A. A Corrupt Origin!
B. A Chaotic Outcome!
3. A Description of Powerful Wisdom!
A. The Beauty that it Possesses!
B. The Blessing that it Produces!
* In James 1: 5 we find the promise of wisdom to those who ask for wisdom. To conclude chapter 3, James describes the type of wisdom that we are to ask for. It is not an earthly wisdom, but an eternal wisdom. It is not the wisdom of the world, but the wisdom of the Word. In simple terms, James seems to remind us that we can ask for wisdom, and be wise; or, refuse to ask for wisdom, and be otherwise.
* In an article entitled, "America's Last Men and Their Magnificent Talking Cure," Os Guinness talks about how America has become the world capital of psychological-mind-set and therapeutic endeavor. Although America has only 6 percent of the world's population, it boasted over 1/3 of the world's psychiatrists and over ½ of the world's clinical psychologists. Eighty million Americans have now sought help from therapists, with an estimated 10 million doing so every year.
* This is not intended to be a sermon against psychiatry and psychology. I thank God for godly, Christian counselors who are gifted to give godly, Christian counsel. However, I do believe that before we look for answers from the world, we should first look for answers from the Word, and glean from God's wisdom.
* Thus, we must answer the age-old question, "What is wisdom?" I love Lloyd John Ogilvie's definition:
"Wisdom is the special gift of God for our guest to know His will. It is beyond intellect and knowledge. It enables a person to hear with God's ears and see with God's eyes. It is the vertical thrust of the mind of God into our minds, ...
There are 19215 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.