This content is part of a series.
Are You in the Know? (7 of 7)
1. If there is anything this post-modern culture that we live in is sure of it is that you cannot be absolutely sure of anything. You can believe in many things. You can be passionate about a lot of things, but nothing can be known absolutely, especially in the area of spirituality and morality.
2. I discovered this quote by Gandhi that serves to emphasize the almost universal uncertainty that is associated with religious belief of any kind. When he was asked why he tried to persuade people of his political beliefs, but not his religious beliefs, he said this - "In the realm of the political and social and economic, we can be sufficiently certain to convert; but in the realm of religion there is not sufficient certainty to convert anybody and therefore, there can be no conversions in religions."
3. The man who is known as perhaps the most brilliant scientist who ever lived, Albert Einstein, once said, "Certainly there is a God. Any man who doesn't believe in a cosmic force is a fool, but we could never know Him."
4. The post-modern view of God - that is if there is a God - is that nothing certain can be known about God and you certainly cannot know Him personally. Let me make a concession here. If the Bible is not God's word and if God has not spoken to us and revealed Himself through His word, then the post-modernist is absolutely right.
5. That is why the foundational message in this series that we have been giving on "The War of the Worlds" began with an investigation of the Bible as absolute truth. I gave you four, rock solid, fire proof, fail safe reasons why you can and should believe the Bible as an authoritative and reliable repository of theological and historical truth. This Bible says you can know two things that the post-modernist says you can't.
6. First of all, it says that you can know God and know Him personally. God himself said this to the Prophet Jeremiah.
"This is what the LORD says: 'Let not the wise man gloat in his wisdom or the mighty man and his might, or the rich man and his riches. Let them boast in this alone: that they truly know Me and understand that I am the LORD... I, the LORD, have spoken!'" (Jeremiah 9:23-24, NLT)
God not only says that we can know Him, but that we can brag about it!
7. The second thing the Bible says is that you can know God eternally. That is, you can have a relationship with God which can never be broken. This is exactly what Jesus said in the passage that we are going to study today.
"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand." (John 10:27- 29, NASB)
8. Now if the biblical world view is true, then we can know God personally. We ...
There are 19423 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
SermonSearch.com is an online resource for sermon outlines and preaching ideas. We offer 30,000+ sermon outlines and 10,000+ free sermon illustrations from top Christian pastors and communicators. You'll write powerful and fresh sermons every week with our sermon preparation tools on a number of sermon topics, including expository preaching.