The Strength of a Mother's Faith
1. This passage of Scripture in Matthew's Gospel recounts for us the strength of one mother's faith in the Lord. Here we see what was accomplished because this mother was willing to trust God.
2. When we think of people who live by faith, we admire them, don't we? The person, who lives by faith, the person who walks by faith--the person who, by example, influences others by their faith.
a. I am reminded of Paul's words to young Timothy about the faith of his mother and his grandmother: 2 Tim. 1:5, ''I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.
3. The Bible places a strong emphasis on personal faith:
a. Salvation is by faith in Christ: ''He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life'' (John 3:36).
b. Victorious living is accomplished by faith: ''For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith'' (I John 5:4).
4. Faith is that indispensable element in our relationship with God. The writer of Hebrews declares: ''But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him (11:6).
5. Our story this morning has to do with the strength of a mother's faith. I would like to give you three things:
I. A Mother's Trouble
II. A Mother's Testing
III. A Mother's Triumph
I. A MOTHER S TROUBLE
1. Somebody once said, ''The trouble of a child is a mother s trouble.'' The Bible says that this woman of Syrophoenicia had a daughter ''vexed with a devil''; this was trouble of the worst sort.
a. In this child's darkest hour, we witness the supreme love of her mother. Isn't it true that a mother's love seems to shine brightest when her children are afflicted?
ILLUS: The followi ...
There are 10691 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.