This content is part of a series.
Managing Your Treasures (4 of 5)
Series: Management 101: Becoming a Successful Steward
Dr. Jeffery B. Ginn
February 4, 2001
1. Last week we looked at the tithe. God commands us to give Him the tenth. Prov. 3:9-10 says, "Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine." William arrived in New York and got a job in a soap factory. The first dollar he earned, he gave 10% to God. Soon he became a partner. Later he became the owner. The business grew, so he gave a double tithe, 20%. Then a triple tithe, a four-fold one, half his income - finally he was giving all his income to the Lord. He was faithful to God, and his name is with us today on every tube of Crest toothpaste - Colgate-Palmolive.
2. Once we've given the Lord the tenth part, are we then free to do with the other 90% what we'd like? Not so fast.
3. You see, not only does the tithe belong to the Lord, the other 90% belongs to him as well. In fact, we belong to the Lord. Psalm 24:1 "The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it."
4. It should not surprise us then that God gives us his counsel on how to deal with the other 90%.
5. His counsel is for our good.
2. PROVIDE FOR YOUR FAMILY
1. 1 Timothy 5:8, "If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."
2. Care for young.
1. Provide for needs.
1. An estimated 3 million children are abused each year in the US. Do you know the most common form of abuse? Neglect.
2. Never fail to provide for your children.
2. Not greeds.
1. Young Families in Debt: Spending habits of young married couples with children (both spouses 18 to 25): Average after-tax income, $19,783. Average annual spending, $21,401. (They are spending around 8% more than they make.) Family Economics Review, q ...
There are 8737 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.