Managing Your Treasures (3 of 5) by Jeff Ginn

This content is part of a series.

Managing Your Treasures (3 of 5)
Series: Management 101: Becoming a Successful Steward
Dr. Jeffery B. Ginn
Malachi 3:8-12
January 28, 2001

1. INTRODUCTION

1. Showed the congregation my letter and "prayer rug" from Rev. Ike. Many good pastors refuse to preach on giving because they don't want to be classed with that kind of deception. However, we must teach on giving.
2. It may surprise you to know that the Bible has much to say about managing our treasures. Someone has calculated that sixteen of the thirty-eight parables of Jesus were concerned with how to handle money and possessions. In the Gospels, an amazing one out of ten verses (288 in all) deal directly with the subject of money. The Bible offers 500 verses on prayer, less than 500 verses on faith, but more than 2,000 verses on money and possessions.
3. A pastor is not worth his salt if he doesn't teach what the Bible has to say about finances. He doesn't love God as he ought nor does he love his people as he ought. Because it may very well be that the one who benefits most from giving is the giver himself!
4. Today we're going to look at what God has to say about the first 10% of your income. Next week we're going to look at what God has to say about the other 90% that belongs to Him but that he allows us to use.
5. Let's read together our key passage from Malachi 3:8-12.

2. THE COMMAND TO TITHE (3:10)

1. Who? Whole nation.
1. It is said that 20% of the people give 80% of the money.
2. This was an instruction from God for everyone.
3. It is not just for the older members. It is not just for the prosperous, wealthy. It is for teenagers. I learned to tithe by giving a tenth of what I earned mowing lawns as a small boy.
4. I have asked our church office to prepare offering boxes for my children.
5. Someone might object, "This was for the nation of Israel and the Old Testament era. We are no longer under the law." To this I would say a couple of things.
1. Jesus affirmed ...


There are 7065 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.

Price:  $4.99 or 1 credit
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!