This content is part of a series.
Get Fit in Your Finances (5 of 6)
Series: Get Fit 4 Life
Dr. Jeffery B. Ginn
February 17, 2002
1. In a recent 20/20 broadcast (May 4, 2000), Diane Sawyer interviewed a young, freewheeling, self made billionaire named Mark Cuban. Cuban made his fortune in computer and Internet businesses. Nothing remarkable about that. But it is remarkable that he appears to have had such fun in his line of work. Mark Cuban is a man who is vibrantly alive and enjoying what he does. He also enjoys spending his money on some lavish toys like a towering mansion, a Gulfstream Jet, and the Dallas Mavericks basketball team. But even those acquisitions represent fun to Cuban. When confronted by Sawyer's question, "Do you live by the motto, 'He who dies with the most toys, wins'?" Cuban replied, "No. He who dies with the life he wanted, wins."
1. Does he have the life he wants?
2. More personally, do you have the life you want?
3. I believe the only life that truly satisfies is the life God wants for us. He created us. He knows what will satisfy. We need to get our lives in order–His order.
2. New Year's series, "Get Fit 4 Life."
3. We've looked at the following areas:
1. Fit in Your Faith
2. Fit in Your Family
3. Fit in Your Friendships
4. Fit in Your Feelings
5. Today, Fit in Your Finances
4. Read Proverbs 3:9-10, "Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; (10) then your barns will be filled to overflowing [one version said, "Your barns will burst"], and your vats will brim over with new wine."
2. A WORD ABOUT ACQUIRING WEALTH (3:9)
1. We read these verses and think about giving. But you can't give what you don't have. You have to get to give.
2. The picture here is of a farmer. He works his land. He plants, he waters, he tills. Then the harvest comes.
3. Acquire it diligently
1. Prov. 10:4, "Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth.."
2. Prov. 14:23, "All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty."
4. Acquire it patiently.
1. Prov. 13:11, "Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow."
2. Illustration of my stock purchase of Plug Power.
3. Lottery games.
4. Credit card debt is the acquisition of wealth, possessions in an impatient manner.
5. Acquire it wisely
1. Money has its own limits. Prov. 11:4, "Wealth is worthless in the day of wrath."
1. Ray Stedman once traveled across the country for a week of meetings. The only problem was that his baggage didn't make it. As I recall, the bags went on to Berlin. He needed a couple of suits so he went down to the local thrift shop and was pleased to find ...
There are 9091 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2727 character sample of the full content.
Price:$4.99 or 1 credit
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!
SermonSearch.com is an online resource for sermon outlines and preaching ideas. We offer 30,000+ sermon outlines and 10,000+ free sermon illustrations from top Christian pastors and communicators. You'll write powerful and fresh sermons every week with our sermon preparation tools on a number of sermon topics, including expository preaching.