This content is part of a series.
What's On Your Wish List? (11 of 11)
Series: The Original Top Ten
Dr. Jeffery B. Ginn
1. Has it begun at your house yet? It has at ours. Our children have begun formulating their wish list. On their paper they have carefully recorded their ''must have'' items for Christmas.
2. This morning everyone needs to take out a pencil and a piece of paper. Try to make sure that your pencil has an eraser. Because we may need to make some corrections on our list. By the way, with the internet the wish list has a new twist. You can log onto a website ''800.com'', pick out the items that you would like and email the list to friends. Before we make our lists, I want you to come with me into our garage.
3. In our garage we have a large cardboard box. It is a large box. It is full of toys. Nice toys. Toys that, at one time, were at the top of my children's wish list. Now they are discarded to the garage. Every once in a while they will pilfer through it looking for a particular toy but, by and large, these toys are on the scrapheap as visions of new toys dance in my children's heads.
4. This morning we're going to look at a command that ought to help us formulate our wish list. We're going to make a list and check it twice. May God show us what's
5. Exodus 20:17. Read it carefully. It is a longer command. Some might memorize it, ''Thou shall not covet.'' But that would be a misrepresentation of what God said. The word covet might be translated, ''Desire.''
2. Everybody needs a wish list.
1. Monasticism. Mysticism, Buddhism, the pinnacle of spiritual is the elimination of desire. The human condition is suffering. Suffering is created by desire. Salvation is the elimination of desire. In monasticism, the participants take a vow of poverty, chastity and obedience.
1. One of the watchwords of our present generation is ''whatever.'' Desire,
2. No anchor, no direction. I'm just gonna' go with the flow-No!
2. Hedonism. Whatever you want- ...
There are 9167 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.