This content is part of a series.
The Truth About Lies (10 of 11)
Series: The Original Top Ten
Dr. Jeffery B. Ginn
1. The young television news reporter was excited about her first big assignment--covering a race for governor. Seeking to learn, she asked one of the veteran reporters how she could tell when a politican was lying. ''No problem, kid,'' said the old-time political reporter, ''Just watch the body language. If he touches his ear or scratches his nose, he's telling the truth. ''But if he opens his mouth and moves his lips, look out!''
2. But politicians aren't the only ones who lie.
1. A new survey finds that 91% in the USA say they lie routinely. And 36% of those confess to dark, important lies. The survey results are in the recently released book, ''The Day American Told The Truth'' (Prentice Hall).
2. The only problem with the above statistics is that, when they report that 91% of Americans lie, they miss it by 9%.
3. Famous American Fibs.
1. I'll start my diet tomorrow.
2. The check is in the mail.
3. We service what we sell.
4. Your table will be ready in a few minutes.
5. Give me your number and the doctor will call you right back.
6. One size fits all.
7. This is going to hurt me more than its going to hurt you.
8. I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.
4. We tend to see lies as something quite harmless. We call them fibs or white lies, putting a spin on the information. But lies and their first-cousins-gossiping, slander, broken vows, flattery-damage lives, divide families, and destroy nations.
5. God has a word for us this morning. It is found in Exodus 20:16, ''You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'' We are not to say things that are false or destructive.
6. The New Testament counterpart is Ephesians 4:25 and 29, ''Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body. . . .
7. This morning I want to tell you the truth about lies.
There are 8598 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.