This content is part of a series.
A Pattern for Parenting (4 of 4)
Series: Home Improvement: How to Open the Door to a "Home Sweet Home"
Dr. Jeffery B. Ginn
March 18, 2001
1. A father and his teenage son were having a heated conversation. The father said, "By the time George Washington was your age, he had surveyed half of Virginia." The son replied, "Yes sir. But by the time he was your age, he was President of the United States."
2. Our children will tax us to the limit. But rearing them is a privilege without parallel.
1. "Lo, children are a heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. (4) As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. (5) Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed . . ." (Psalm 127:3-5).
2. Children are not a burden to be born. A ball and chain on our freedom. They are God's heritage, reward, fruit. They bring happiness.
3. Children do not come with an instruction booklet. How fortunate is the young couple who were themselves reared by good, godly parents who provided them with a pattern to follow. I am such a man.
4. Unfortunately, many of us did not have adequate models in our own parents.
5. This morning I want us to hold high a pattern for parenting that we find in Scripture. Amram and Jochebed reared Moses. They left a legacy from which we can learn.
6. Hebrews 11:23-28
2. THEY WERE CONFIDENT: "By faith . . . they saw he was a beautiful child."
1. "By faith, Moses' parents hid him for three months." Were it not for the faith of unknown Amram and Jochebed, we would not know Moses!
2. Of what were they confident?
1. Faithful Father.
1. If you want your children to believe in and follow God, you must set the example.
2. Like Shadrach, Meshech and Abednego, they believed that God could deliver them.
3. Like Shadrach, Meshech and Abednego, they were willing to suffer the consequences even if He chose not to protect them!
4. D ...
There are 9028 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.