Don't Be Afraid to Ask Him
January 16, 2005
1. A DECLARATION OF GOD'S AMAZING ABILITY
A) The Actuality of God
B) The Ability of God
2. A DESCRIPTION OF GOD'S ABOUNDING ABILITY
A) The Impossibility of Human Comprehension
B) The Possibility of Human Expectation
3. A DEMONSTRATION OF GOD'S AVAILABLE ABILITY
A) Displayed in Our Life
B) Desired in Our Life
I read about a pastor who visited an invalid who was confined to a wheel-chair. The pastor said to her, "You are a great inspiration to me and to so many others! You are always cheerful and full of praise, even though your body is often racked with pain. How are you so contagiously cheerful and able to always praise the Lord?" She replied, "Pastor, I have a phone number that I constantly use!" "A phone number?" asked the pastor. "Yes," said the invalid, "It's JER-33:3." "JER-33:3?" "Yes, Jeremiah 33:3: "Call unto Me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not."
As Christians we have received an invitation from God to come to Him and to ask for "great and mighty things." Someone has written:
Thou art coming to a King,
Large petitions with thee bring,
For His grace and pow'r are such,
None can ever ask too much!
Our text is a reminder that we cannot ask too much when we pray. The reason we could never ask too much is because of the vast ability of God. In Ephesians 3:20 the Apostle Paul uses every word possible to convey to us the vastness of God's ability. This verse has often been described as a pyramid progression of God's ability:
* God is
* God is able
* God is able to do
* God is able to do exceedingly
* God is able to do exceedingly abundantly
* God is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all we ask
* God is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all we ask or think
* God is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all we ask or think, according to the power
* God is able to exceedingly abunda ...
There are 18636 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.