The Mission Field Isn't just for Missionaries!
Steve N. Wagers
II Corinthians 5:17-21
1. Since its inception in 1845, the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) has always had one mission--the Great Commission (Matt. 28:19-20). To fulfill its assigned part of this divine mandate, each SBC entity made special offering appeals to the churches. This method was referred to as the "societal" approach to missions and did not prove to be as successful as they had planned. Some entities took out loans to cover operating costs until pledges or special offerings were received.
2. Thus, in 1919, the leaders of the SBC proposed the 75 Million Campaign, a five-year pledge campaign that, for the first time, included everything--the missions and ministries of all the state conventions as well as that of the Southern Baptist Convention. Though falling short of its goals, a God-given partnership of missions support was conceived: The Cooperative Program. Since its launch in 1925, the effectiveness of CP has been dependent upon individuals, churches, state conventions, and SBC entities cooperating, working toward a common goal of sharing the gospel with every person on the planet.
3. Every year each SBC church prayerfully decides how much of its undesignated gifts will be committed to reaching people in their state and around the world through Cooperative Program (CP) Missions. This amount is then forwarded to their respective state Baptist convention.
4. The two primary mission board of the Cooperative Program are the International Mission Board, and the North American Mission Board. Through the International Mission Board Southern Baptists support over 5,380 missionaries who are engaging more than 1,400 different people groups around the world.
5. Through the efforts of the North American Mission Board, over 1, 788 new churches were planted, in the United States and Canada, through the efforts of more than 5, 204 North American missionaries. As a result, o ...
There are 25316 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.