Give Me That Old Time Religion!
Steve N. Wagers
I Peter 1:8-12
1. The Gospel's MESSAGE!
A. It's Marvelous Facts!
B. It's Mighty Force!
1. We are Saved from a Life of Deadness
2. We are Saved to a Life of Dominion
3. We are Saved from a Life of Defeat
2. The Gospel's MINISTRY!
A. It has been Graciously Revealed to Us!
B. It has been Gloriously Received by Us!
3. The Gospel's MYSTERY!
A. The Grace that is Fully Offered!
B. The Gift that is Freely Obtained!
1. C. H. Spurgeon once said:
"People have often asked me, 'What is the secret of your success?' I always reply that I have no other secret but this, that I have preached the gospel-not about the gospel-but the gospel; the full, free, glorious gospel of the Living Christ, who is the Incarnation of the Good News. Preach Christ, brethren, always and everywhere."
2. Dr. Baldwin, who was pastor of a church for 41 years said,
"I testify that at thirty, after examining as best I could the philosophies and religions of the world, I said, 'Nothing is better than the Gospel of Christ.' At forty, when burdens began to press heavily and years seemed to hasten, I said, 'Nothing is as good as the Gospel.' At fifty, when there were empty chairs in the home and the mound builders had done me service, I said, 'There is nothing to be compared with the Gospel.' At sixty, when my second sight saw through the delusions and vanities of earthly things, I said, 'There is nothing but the Gospel.' At seventy, amid many limitations and deprivations, I sing:
"Should all the forms that men devise
Attack my faith with treacherous art,
I'd call them vanities and lies,
And bind the Gospel to my heart."
3. We live in a day that is absolutely saturated with a variety of religious opinions, ideologies and beliefs. Much emphasis has been placed upon one's denomination, affiliation and participation as a basis of their eternal destiny.
4. We live in a day where the pillars of tru ...
There are 14340 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.