This content is part of a series.
A True Worship Service! (10 of 10)
Series: How To Get Along With The Family!
Steve N. Wagers
1. On November 9, 1984, the "Three Servicemen" sculpture was unveiled in Washington, D. C. as an addition to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. The Vietnam Wall was dedicated on November 13, 1982. Containing the names of 58, 220 men and women who were killed or remain missing from the war, the memorial is a 500-foot, chevron shaped wall, that is composed of 140 tablets of polished black granite set into the earth.
2. The names listed on the wall are in order in which men and women were killed or listed missing. The first name is Major Dale R. Buis, and the last name is Richard Vande Geer. More than two and one-half million visit the wall every year. Although the memorial was designed to make no political statement about the war, veterans were angered and hurt by its design, feeling that IT'S placement below ground level hit it from view and that its color hinted at a feeling of shame.
3. One veteran assailed the design as the "black gash of shame," while others attacked it as being "unheroic, death-oriented," and "intentionally not meaningful." The "Three Servicemen" sculpture, a 7-foot bronze statue, was a compromise to the controversy.
4. Because of the great debt that we owe every man and woman who served and fought for our country, they deserve to be honored and remembered in the most proper way. The memory of their lives should always hold a special place in our hearts. However, while service to ones country may at times receive a "purple heart," there is a far greater service that Christians are called upon to give; and, that is, our service to the Lord.
5. During the dark days of World War II, England had a great deal of difficulty keeping men in the coalmines. It was a thankless kind of Job, totally lacking in any glory. Most chose to join the various military services. They desired something that could give them more so ...
There are 23836 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.