Toys R Us Christians
1 Corinthians 3.1-3
In this letter Paul writes: "Toys R Us Baptist Church" -of Corinth
A lot like other Baptists
-they met each Sunday
-had great singing (hymns of faith)
-How Great Thou Art, Leaning of Everlasting Arms, Just as I am, I Surrender All
If you listened closely
-above the voices
-hear a soft melody
-"I Don't Want to Grow Up ... I'm a Toys R Us X-ian"
-Many of our churches
-filled with Toys R Us X-ians
-got their bibs on / sitting in high chair
-sucking on a bottle!
Paul is writing to these folks
-they are spiritual infants
-they could have a steak and potatoes
-they were satisfied with milk
"Pastor ... do we have spiritual infants in our church?"
-Yes we do ... they're in every church
-listen closely and see if are one of them!
I. THE DESCRIPTION OF SPIRITUAL INFANTS (1 Cor. 3.1)
Paul describes infants as:
-"men of flesh"
-what does that mean?
1. Infants are Self-Centered (feed me, hold me, change me, help me) (mine!)
-same with spiritual infants (world revolves around them) (do it their way)
2. Infants are Screamers (cry if don't get their way)
-same with spiritual infants (whine and gripe to the church) (they cause splits v. 20)
3. Infants are Slackers (they just sleep and eat, don't give anything)
-same with spiritual infants (do nothing productive for the kingdom)
(just enjoy benefits of others labors)
4. Infants are Spoonfed (cannot feed themselves) (others provide nourishment)
-same with spiritual infants (rely on others to feed them) preacher and SS teacher
-Heb. 5.12-13 (you should be feeding others ... but you must still be fed!)
5. Infants are Shallow (not a lot of depth) (just baby talk)
-same with spiritual infants (roots go down 1 inch ... no spiritual depth)
6. Infants are Susceptible (they're at mercy of others) (they are very vul ...
There are 4732 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.