A Poignant Reminder (11 of 15) by Daniel Rodgers
This content is part of a series.A Poignant Reminder (11 of 15)
The Book of Colossians
1. In our lesson last week we talked about the importance
of setting our affections on things above, not on the things of earth (vv.1-4).
2. This evening we will take a look at Paul's "poignant
reminder" of what we were in the past and how we lived according to the "old man" or the old nature (vs.9):
a. Notice what he tells us in (vs.5a), "Mortify
therefore your members which are upon the earth."
1) The word "mortify" means "to use self-
discipline." The word "therefore" refers to what he has said in the first four verses: "because we are risen with Christ, and because we are to set our affections on things above, we will then guard against the following things (he begins to enumerate with verse five).
3. Let me give you a brief outline:
I. Mortify Your Members
II. Manage Your Mouth
III. Maintain Your Mind
I. MORTIFY YOUR MEMBERS (VV. 5-7)
1. We are reminded that the word "mortify" means "self-
discipline." It is up to us, with the help of God, to use self-discipline or self-control over our physical bodies.
QUOTE: Someone once said, "The greatest conqueror is he who conquers himself."
2. You will notice in (vs.6), self-control is the opposite of
how the world lives, but we are to live differently.
3. Let's look at some of the things we are to have self-
a. Fornication: Illicit relationships outside of marriage.
b. Uncleanness: Impure--physically or morally
c. Inordinate affection: Unrestrained affection
d. Evil concupiscence: Desire or lust for the forbidden
e. Covetousness: Greediness for something. The Lord puts it on par level with idolatry (vs. 5b).
4. Let's put down two things:
A. Restraining our members
1. Rom 6:13, "Neither yield ye your members as
instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from ...
There are 11858 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!