This content is part of a series.
A Man on the Run from a God on the Throne! (5 of 9)
Jonah, You Have Said a Mouthful!
Pastor Steve N. Wagers
1. History is filled with great statements. Many of these statements were given by the right men, at the right place, at the right time, and for the right reason. By making a great statement, many made a great statement.
2. In March 1775, Patrick Henry gave us the immortal words:
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death."
3. At Gettysburg Cemetery, Abraham Lincoln stated in November 1863:
"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent....dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal."
4. In his famous "Cross of Gold" speech, in July 1896, William Jennings Bryant stated:
"We have petitioned...We have entreated...
We have begged...We beg no longer; we entreat no more; we petition no more! "
5. Declaring war on Germany, in 1917, Woodrow Wilson stated before a joint session of Congress:
"Property can be paid for; the lives of peaceful and innocent people cannot be. "
6. In the first inaugural address broadcasted by radio, President Calvin Coolidge stated:
"Parchment will fail, the sword will fail,
it is only the spiritual nature of man
that can be triumphant."
7. In his first inaugural address, Franklin Delano Roosevelt gave us the immortal words:
"Let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
8. On the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, in 1963, Dr. Martin Luther King uttered his famous words:
"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all men are created equal."
9. And, following the tragic events of September 11, 2001, President George Herbert Walker Bush comforted a fearful nation with the words:
"We will not tire. We will not falter. We will not fail." 1
10. However, g ...
There are 27333 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.