This content is part of a series.
Day By Day (6 of 6)
GROWING STRONGER DAY BY DAY
2 Corinthians 4:16
1. A DAILY REALITY THAT BURDENS US
A) We Live In A Body That Is Deteriorating
B) We Live In A Body That Is Dying
2. A DAILY RENEWAL THAT BUILDS US
A) Spiritual Enlargement
B) Spiritual Enablement
3. A DAILY REALIZATION THAT BLESSES US
A) The Things That Are Working For Us
B) The Things That Are Waiting For Us
I recently read an article about 52-year-old Marshall Edwards of Prestonsburg, Kentucky. Edwards was a successful marathon runner until a car accident left his left leg paralyzed from the knee down. On July 5, 1994, Edwards was driving to work when a drunk and drugged teenager crashed into him at 65 mph. He would spend the next 89 days flat on his back in a hospital bed. He can still walk -- with a severe limp -- but he cannot run. But, instead of allowing the accident to discourage him, he now participates in marathons in the wheelchair competition. In an interview, Edwards said, "You start and say, 'I can do this.' At certain times stages in the race, it becomes a mind and body thing, where the mind says one thing and the body might say another. You have to take the race in segments. You have to believe you can do it and take one mile at a time."
The Christian life has often been compared to a race and it is a race in which we take one mile at a time. To be more precise, it is a race that is run one day at a time.
Someone has said:
Yard by yard, life is hard,
Inch by inch, life's a cinch.
For the past several weeks we have focused our attention on the words "day by day" as found in the Bible. We have seen that:
* Temptation is faced day by day, thus must be overcome on a daily basis. Joseph served as our example of overcoming temptation day by day (Cp. Gen. 39:10).
* Daily we fail the Lord, thus sin must be confronted, confessed and cleansed day by day. We considered the daily offering of two lambs and the lesson they teach of de ...
There are 18023 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.