This content is part of a series.
Will the Real Christian Please Stand Up? (3 of 4)
1. Looking at that video reminds me of the story of a local businessman who was a fourth grade Sunday school teacher. He was really trying to impress the class because his son was a member of the class. So he asked the class this question, "Why do you suppose that people call me a Christian?"
2. Well, there was dead silence. Nobody spoke up. He asked the question again: "Now kids, why do you suppose that people call me a Christian?" Still no response. Finally, the man with an exasperated look said, "Now come on, think about it, surely somebody can give me a reason why people call me a Christian?" His own son broke the silence and said, "Dad maybe it's because they don't know you!"
3. The term "Christian" is used more today than any other term to describe a believer, a follower of Jesus Christ. People talk about the Christian church and the Christian faith. There is a debate raging right now involving the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Alabama as to whether or not we are a Christian Nation.
4. Yet, I want to let you in on a little secret. I believe the average person on the street has no real clue what a real Christian really is. Many who profess to be Christians really are not Christians at all and many who use the term don't even really understand what they mean by it.
5. Has it ever occurred to you that you can be born and raised in a Christian home, attend a Christian school, join a Christian church, live by Christian principles, read a Christian Bible, and even have a Christian worldview and still not be a Christian. Now these things may mark a Christian, but they do not make a Christian. There is a difference between being a Christian in name and being a Christian in nature.
6. Now, it is not for me to tell you what a Christian is. It is not for you to tell me what a Christian is. What we ne ...
There are 16236 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.