What's So Amazing About Grace (1 of 4) by James Merritt
This content is part of a series.What's So Amazing About Grace? (1 of 4)
1. See how many of these common phrases we hear so often you can complete.
If it sounds too good to be true... it is
We make money the old fashioned way, we... earn it
There is no such thing as a free... lunch
There is no gain without... pain
God helps those who... help themselves
2. Everything about the American way of life teaches us this simple truth. In life you get what you earn. You get what you work for. You get what you pay for. There is nothing wrong with that at all. That should be the American way. The problem is many people think the same way you relate to your paycheck or to your possessions is the way you relate to God. But God does not relate to us on the basis of our goodness. He relates to us on the basis of His Grace.
3. I want to talk today about what to me next to Jesus is the sweetest word in all of the Bible, the word ''Grace.'' Apart from grace you cannot know God. Apart from Grace you cannot understand God. Apart from Grace you cannot relate to God.
4. I do not know of a word that is more important to the church than the word Grace. You see without grace we would have to close our doors, because we would not have a ministry. Without grace, I would be without a job because I would not have a message.
5. Now there are many definitions of grace, but let me give you just two.
- Grace is anything that I need, but don't deserve that I could never repay, but God gives to me anyway.
- Grace is the face that God puts on when He looks at my failures, my faults and my flaws.
6. Now most believers know what grace is and there have been uncounted millions of unbelievers who have sung about what we call ''Amazing Grace,'' but I believe there are a lot of believers and I believe that all unbelievers don't understand what grace does and that is the focus of this great passage from the pen of the Apostle Paul we are going to study today.
I. Grace Saves Us From Sin's Penalty
''For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men'' (v.11)
1. Now focus in on that one phrase, ''The grace of God that brings salvation.'' Notice immediately it is not the goodness of people that brings salvation. It is not the sincerity of religion that brings salvation. It is the Grace of God that brings salvation. Now to understand what Grace really is, you've got to put two adjectives with it.
A. It is unconditional grace
1. There are no strings attached to God's Grace. There is nothing you can do to earn it. There is no way you can work for it. There is not enough money to buy it. It is a gift. ''For by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.'' Ephesians 2:8.
2. That means that salvation is not based on my performance. It is based on God's promise. It is not based on my merit. It is based on God's mercy. It is not based on my goodness it is based on God's Grace ...
There are 12839 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!