This content is part of a series.
At Your Service, Lord (5 of 8)
Series: Building Blocks
1. Recently I was flying into Washington, DC, and as always I immediately saw the Washington Monument which towers above the entire city. It is 555 ft. 5 1/8 in. high. From the lobby to the observation level it is 50 stories. To get to the top you could either take the elevator, which is the easy way up, or you can take the stairs, 896 of them in all, which is the harder way to the top.
2. As I was gazing at that monument I remembered my good friend Zig Ziglar telling the story of going to Washington, DC, and visiting the Washington Monument. He said as he approached the Monument there was a line that seemed like it was a mile long. He walked up to the front to hear what the guide was saying, and the guide announced that there would be a two hour wait to ride the elevator to the top of the Monument. Then with a smile on his face, the guide said, ''There's no one waiting to go to the top if you're willing to take the stairs.''
3. If you went to Wall Street and asked the question: ''What is the secret of greatness?'' Wall Street would say: ''Money, and lots of it.'' If you were to go to Washington and ask: ''What is the secret of greatness?'' They would say, ''Political clout.'' If you were to go to Hollywood and ask: ''What is the secret of greatness?'' Hollywood would say: ''Fame.''
4. But the greatest man who ever lived, Jesus Christ, had a different answer. He said, ''Whoever wants to become great must be a servant to others.'' (Mt. 20:26 GWT)
5. Success and greatness in the kingdom of God is far different than what it is on planet earth. In the kingdom of God there is no easy way; there is no easy elevator to the top. To get to the top in God's eyes you've got to take the stairs of service. Jesus said again, ''For even I didn't come to be served, but to serve others and give My life as a ransom for many.'' (Mark 10:45 NLT) The secret to gre ...
There are 15048 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.