Bitterness (13 of 23) by Ronnie Floyd
This content is part of a series.COPING WITH LIFE
July 5, 1987
"Nothing on earth consumes a man more quickly than the passion of resentment."
Word Study -
"rBittert - Greek ',pickriall - extreme wickedness, bitter hatred
I. THREE BIBLE PASSAGES THAT SPEAK TO BITTERNESS.
A. Matthew 18:21-22
1. Peter wanted to take revenge
2. Jesus promoted unlimited forgiveness.
B. Luke 23:34
1. Christ could have been bitter about being crucified.
2. Christ saw His opponents as helpless, just carrying out God's plan.
C. Ephesians 4:29-32
1. Bitterness grieves the Holy Spirit.
2. Forgiveness is essential to walk with God.
3. God never is better toward us, but forgiving.
II. INDICATORS OF BITTERNESS.
1. When you cannot rejoice when something good happens to someone else.
2. When you become extremely intense about an issue.
("That just burns me up")
3. When your mind is dominated by the evil of someone else toward God, toward
you, or toward others.
- 2 -
III. THE CONSEQUENCES OF BITTERNESS.
1. Spiritual Consequences
(an inability to love God [I John 4:20-21])
(Doubts created [Matthew 6:14-15])
(cannot grow spiritually)
2. Physical Consequences
(Chemical imbalance, facial features, bone health)
3. Emotion ...
There are 2580 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1290 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!