THE GREAT DOCTRINES OF THE BIBLE
*THE BIBLE: THE DEBATE AMONG SOUTHERN BAPTISTS"
SCRIPTURE TEXTS: ISAIAH 40:6-8, 2 Timothy 3:14-17, 2 Peter 1:19-21,
and 1 Peter 1:22-25.
INTRODUCTION: THE BIBLE IS OUR ROADMAP TO LIFE.
I. THE SEMANTICS-the study of linguistic development. The suggesting
that words have different meanings. "Game of Words"
Ill: Conservative-Being accused of something you said, but did not
Some of the words:
1. Inerrant-free from error, never wanders from truth.
This is not meaning that, 1. Bible always uses the exact language.
2. You have to interpret the Bible
? on original autographs! literally.(Figurative, apocalyptic)
Dallas Morning News-Inerrancy is the belief that the Bible is
without error and is to be taken literally.
*Diversity comes when one group forces a meaning of a word upon
2. Infallible-exempt from the liability to error. Synonymn-absolutely,
trustworthy, and sure.
3. Literal-Do I Believe the Bible should be taken literally?
1. Literal can mean taking the Bible seriously to the ones
it was first originally written to.
2. Yes, I believe in a Jonah, fish, creation-7 days.
3. No, in the sense I wash your feet, eye for an eye(JOKE)
4. Some things literal, some things not such as Jonah.
4. Labels-Conservative, Moderate, Liberal.
*Spiritual problem-Lies in the attitude of these people.
II. WHAT MUST A PERSON BELIEVE ABOUT THE BIBLE?
History tells us this to believe:
Article One-New Hampshire Confession of Faith says, "We believe that
the Holy Bible... has God for its author, salvation for its end, and
truth without any mixture of error for its matter."
SBC APPROVED THIS IN 1925.
1963 Baptist Faith and Message-"The Holy Bible was written b ...
There are 3506 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1753 character sample of the full content.