RECONNECTING Message #6
YOUR LIFE NEVER LIES TO YOU Part 1
October 17, 1993
I read this past week that in one day the following things happen to the youth in America:
* More than 2,500 children witness the divorce or separation of their parents.
* About 90 are taken from their parents' custody and committed to foster homes.
* Some 1,000 unwed teenage girls become mothers.
* Of 15 to 24 year olds, 13 commit suicide and 16 are murdered.
* Some 500 adolescents begin using illegal drugs and 1,000 begin drinking alcohol.
* At least 3,610 teenagers are assaulted, 630 are robbed, and 80 are raped.
* More than 100,000 high school students bring guns to school.
* At least 2,200 teens drop out of high school.
* The typical 14 year old watches three hours of television and does only one hour of homework.
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM: WRONG PRIORITIES!
My life has never lied to me. My priorities have been revealed in every decision I have ever made. I have learned that my life always mirrors my priorities.
Family versus my career as a local pastor. I knew what I intellectually believed, but getting that into my life practically was a real issue years ago. I had to ask myself some very piercing questions:
"Meeting at night vs. being with family"
"Preach across country vs see my children grow up"
"Work seven days a week vs spending one day a week with my wife"
"Desire to be good golfer vs a good father."
Good father, good husband, good pastor, good leader, and good friend.
Each of these cry out for attention at the same time.
* Our desire is not to survive this shuffle, but to have spiritual power as we experience the challenges of life.
THERE ARE THREE TRUTHS ABOUT LIFE I DO NOT WANT YOU TO EVER FORGET:
1. Every decision we make mirrors our priorities.
2. Wrong priorities will result in bad decisions.
3. Bad decisions hurt us as well as everyone around ...
There are 5009 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.