The Presentation of the Savior: From a Crib to a Cross
We are in a series entitled, The Supernatural Side of Christmas.
(1) The Preexistent Saviour -- "From Everlasting to Everlasting."
(2) The Proclamation of the Saviour - "From Heaven's Messengers to the Hope of Mankind." Today, The Presentation of the Saviour -- "From a Crib to a Cross."
Jesus Christ was born to die. His birth set the stage for His death and resurrection. Miracle (virgin birth) upon a miracle (timing). Any famous men born here? "No," only babies.
I. Announciation to Joseph -- Conceived as a problem.
Note emphasis on virgin.
She stayed a virgin.
**Mary had stayed with Elizabeth 3 months -- 2 weeks travel both ways.
When she gets back to Nazareth her to go is bulging.
1. Betrothal -- Formal written agreement of one year to protect the man. A broken betrothal was like a divorce.
3. Wedding feast -- 2-7 days.
A. Rights of Joseph 2 options.
1. Dissolve betrothal.
He couldn't marry her. Unclean.
2. Public example. Stoning.
B. Responsibility of Joseph
1. Do not be afraid to marry Mary.
2. Conception is of Holy Spirit.
3. Bear you a son and call him Jesus.
Joseph names him.
4. Fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy.
C. Responsiveness of Joseph.
Joseph had a lot to lose.
His business (carpenter) and reputation.
Proper Jews would shun Him
**Jesus in later ministry
"We are sons of Abraham, but we do not know whose father is this man's."
(Roman garrison town)
II. Absolute intervention -- Perceived as a plan.
"Fullness of time."
Beginning of New Testament age -- 400 years have passed to bring fullness of time.
1. Zeus, Aphrodite, and other gods are now dying.
1.Greeks and Romans were looking for a Messiah.
Intellectually, they were looking for answers.
a. Epercurins -- Eat, drink and be merry. Over i ...
There are 4048 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.