Use It or Lose It
Dr. James Merritt
1. (Following video clip of Brewster's millions) That indeed is a great and unique story - having to spend $30 million in 30 days in order to get $300 million. Now can you imagine having to spend $30 million in 30 days? I know most men are sitting there thinking to themselves: For my wife that would be no problem. At first you may think that this is just pure Hollywood. But, quite frankly, that clip is closer to reality than you think.
2. We all have gifts from God that are far more valuable than $30 million or $300 million. Because every one of us are given opportunities to find God's will and to do God's work. We are all given opportunities to make an eternal difference in the lives of others. In fact, from God's perspective, life is equal opportunity employment.
3. We have been given abilities to match our opportunities, so that we might exercise our responsibility to use those abilities and take advantage of those opportunities to glorify God. But here is the catch, and it's the same one found in the movie: Use it or lose it.
4. The Lord Jesus told a parable to illustrate a profound truth. Every saint is both a servant and a steward. If you are a Christian you ought to be a servant doing something for God, and a steward being faithful in using the gift that God has given you for His glory.
5. Now I want you to think of life today as an opportunity; that has with it a responsibility to use your ability to glorify God. In this parable Jesus tells us three truths that are radically life- changing.
I. All That You Have Is God's Gift
1. "For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them.
And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately he want on a journey. (vv.14-15)
Notice that every man in this parable had ...
There are 17112 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.