I Don't Like My Options
2 Kings 5:1-17
1. Think about two words: options and decisions. One gives rise to the other. Options are diverse, decisions are difficult. An option only has power when it becomes a decision. The reason why I want you to understand these two words is because basically that is what life is all about. It is amazing to see how one decision can change a life, a family, a nation, and a world.
2. Some unknown people through the years made a decision choosing among options that have radically changed your life to this very present day in the world in which you live, and you don't even realize it. For example:
- In 1776 one vote gave America the English language instead of German.
- In 1845 one vote brought Texas into the Union.
- In 1868 one vote saved President Andrew Johnson from impeachment.
- In 1876 one vote changed France from a monarchy to a republic.
- In 1876 one vote gave Rutherford B. Hayes the presidency of the United States.
- In 1933 one vote gave Adolph Hitler leadership of the Nazi Party.
- In 1960 one vote change in each precinct in Illinois would have given the presidency to Richard Nixon instead of John F. Kennedy.
3. Options can be confusing. The need to make a decision can be paralyzing. In fact, multiple options can greatly prolong decision-making as you try to figure out the best option to take. Now you ladies can relate to this: I've often wondered how many fig leaves Eve tried on before she said, ''I'll take this one.''
4. Oftentimes in life we all face options we really don't like. Let me just give you a few examples, some of which some of you may be facing even now or every day.
- I can either get up this morning at five o'clock, fight an hour and a half of traffic to go to a job I don't like, or I can stay home and let my family starve to death. I don't like my options.
- My girlfriend is pregnant. Do I pay for an abortion, marry the girl, or deny I'm the father? ...
There are 19919 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.