The Secret of Self-Esteem
Dr. James Merritt
1. Chuck Swindoll tells the story of the time when his children were smaller and they were going on a long trip, and trying to break the boredom, they decided to play a game called “What if?” The question was “What if you could be anybody on earth—who would you like to be?”
2. Well, one of his daughters said, “I would like to be the bionic woman.” The other children followed suit and thought of someone famous they would like to be. But his youngest child, Chuck, Jr., never said a word. As they pulled up to a stop sign, Chuck, Sr. looked at his son and said, “Chucky?” He said, “Yes, sir?” He said, “Who would you like to be?” His son said, “I’d like to be me.” He said, “Why do you want to be you?” He said, “Because I like me better than anybody I know.”
3. Now I like that. That little fellow understood that he was really somebody. Now every person at one time or another has struggled with low self-esteem. One of the reasons we do is because we compare ourselves with other people, and when we don’t measure up esteem is gone and only self is left.
4. My wife, Teresa, loves Patrick Swayze. Every time he comes on television she just swoons. Well, I caught her looking at him in that teenybopper kind of way the other night, and I said, “Let me ask you a question. If you took away his money, his face, and that muscular body, what would you have?” She looked at me and smiled and said, “I’d have you.”
5. Now you may not have good looks, a great physique, or much money. You may not wear the finest clothes, drive the nicest car, or live in the finest home; but if you are a Christian and know the Lord Jesus Christ, you should never suffer from a lack of self-esteem.
6. I am convinced that there are two basic reasons why people are frustrated, irritated, aggravated, discouraged, and depressed. Barring something physiological, either they do not have ...
There are 19222 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.