Just a Closer Walk With Thee
1. How close are you to God? I can tell you exactly how close you are. You are as close as you want to be. God is as willing to get as close to you as you are willing to get close to Him.
2. The first way to go one step higher for God, is to get one step closer to God. When you take one step closer to God, you actually get two steps closer to God, for James 4:8 tells us, ''Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.''
3. That verse is both a precept and a promise. The precept is, you draw near to God; the promise is, God will draw near to you.
4. Now why is it in that order? Why doesn't God draw near to me so that I will then draw near to Him? Why must I draw near to God first? Jere. 29:13 says, ''And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.'' Why do I have to initiate the process? Why do I have to draw near to Him before He will draw near to me?
5. Well, the answer is in an old story I read about a farmer and his wife who were driving to town in their pickup truck. The farmer was sitting behind the steering wheel in silence; his wife was sitting on the other side of the cab against the door. After several miles the wife said, ''Jed, when we first got married we didn't sit this far apart.'' The old farmer dryly replied, ''I ain't the one that moved.''
6. I want to talk to you about developing the devotional life, or connecting with the quiet time. If you are married, God wants to be closer to you than you are to your own spouse. If you are single, God wants to be closer to you than you are to your best friend. If you are a child, God wants to be closer to you than you are to your own parents. He wants all of us to have ''just a closer walk'' with Him.
7. That comes through the devotional life; that quiet time with God. God is waiting on you to draw near to Him, and when you do He will draw near to you. The way to do that, the way to walk closer to Him, is very simple.
I. Take Time For The Walk
1. Look at the text again, ''Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.'' This is not something you do once in a lifetime. This is something you are to do everyday. Don't assume that just because you belong to a Bible-believing church, that you are automatically near to God. It is possible to be diligent in your religion, and yet distant in your relationship.
2. We ought to consciously, conscientiously, and constantly be drawing near to God, and hopefully on a daily basis. Many Christians are like a little boy I heard about who returned home from his very first day of kindergarten. His mother said, ''Chase, how did you like school today?'' The little boy thought for a moment and said, ''It was fine, but it's not something you'd want to do every day.''
3. Well, I hope to motivate all of us to take one step higher, and go one step closer in our walk with God. If not now, sometime in the future it will be something yo ...
There are 18233 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
SermonSearch.com is an online resource for sermon outlines and preaching ideas. We offer 30,000+ sermon outlines and 10,000+ free sermon illustrations from top Christian pastors and communicators. You'll write powerful and fresh sermons every week with our sermon preparation tools on a number of sermon topics, including expository preaching.