Team Work Is Dream Work
Psalm 133 9-19-99
1. What I want to talk to you about today is something that God desperately desires for his people. It is one thing that Satan fears and works day and night to undo. It is something for which Jesus himself prayed for just before He went to the cross. It is the one thing the bible says that will convince people that the church has something the world does not. It is the one thing that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is meant to accomplish. What is it that I am talking about?--UNITY.
2. Now when I speak about unity, let me make it plain that I'm not talking about union. Union is when you are bonded with someone with whom you may not have a common bond. I am not talking about uniformity; that is when everyone looks alike and thinks alike.
3. I am not speaking of unanimity; which is where everybody ought to always agree on everything. Contrary to what you may think, I do not expect neither uniformity nor unanimity always in this church. But what I do want, what God desires and what we must have, is unity. By unity, I mean a oneness of heart, a similarity of purpose, and an agreement on truth.
4. When our founding fathers signed the Declaration of Independence, Benjamin Franklin stood up and said, ''Gentlemen, now we must all hang together or assuredly we shall all hang separately.''
5. I believe Satan's strategy to defeat the church, is to ''divide and conquer.'' The devil is no match for a united church no matter how small that church may be. But regardless of how large a church is, how many members it has, how big the budget is, how many buildings it has, it can be defeated member by member. Satan's motive is division. Satan's method is deception. Satan's mission is destruction. He wants to deceive us so that he might divide us and, therefore, destroy us.
6. You see Satan cannot defeat a united church because there is no place where he can attack the body. Every plank is covered. Every side is protected. Even the gates of hell cannot prevail against a church united in the Lord Jesus Christ. But, one by one, divided against each other, any of us and all of us can be picked off by his fiery darts.
7. Asallust once said, ''By unity the smallest states thrive; by discord the greatest are destroyed.'' Our national motto is e pluribus unum, which means ''out of the many, one.'' Again, our founding fathers knew that we must forever be ''The United States of America.''
8. I read about a man one time who went out on a boat deep-sea fishing who couldn't swim. He caught an enormous fish, and in his excitement to pull it into the boat, he fell overboard. He cried out, ''Save me, I cannot swim!'' Well, the captain of the boat very calmly reached out, grabbed the man by the arm, and gave a big pull; but he didn't know it was an artificial arm, and the arm came off!
9. Well, the man continued to kick and splash around crying for help. The captain reached out a ...
There are 19512 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
SermonSearch.com is an online resource for sermon outlines and preaching ideas. We offer 30,000+ sermon outlines and 10,000+ free sermon illustrations from top Christian pastors and communicators. You'll write powerful and fresh sermons every week with our sermon preparation tools on a number of sermon topics, including expository preaching.