You’ve Gotta Believe (5 of 5) by James Merritt
This content is part of a series.You've Gotta Believe (5 of 5)
1. One of the most exciting events in track and field is the relay races. It takes a combination of speed, timing, precision, and teamwork in order for a relay team to be victorious. The suspense is so great, because in an individual race the fastest person always wins. But in a relay race, the fastest team can lose if one thing happens-they fail to pass the baton.
2. Any track coach will tell you that relay races are won or lost in the transfer of the baton. There is that critical moment when all can be lost by a fumble or a slight miscalculation. If, for whatever reason, the baton is dropped and not properly transferred, the race is lost.
3. Dr. James Dobson, who is now the most listened to Christian voice in the world today, once said: ''According to the Christian values which govern my life, my most important reason for living is to get the baton-the gospel-safely in the hands of my children.''
4. Both as a dad and a pastor, I could not agree more with that statement, and that is why I believe the first lesson parents must teach their children is: ''You've Gotta Believe.'' Parents, we must pass the baton of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ to the next generation, or everything else we do is a failure.
5. Physical life begins with birth, but it ends with death. Spiritual life begins with faith, but it never ends. For Jesus said: ''Whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.'' (Jn. 11:26)
6. The first principle parents should teach their children is the principle of faith, and the first truth that they must teach their children is that real life begins with faith in God. The author of Hebrews gives us the defining truth of faith, and tells us what we need to know and what our children need to learn about faith.
I. The Way Faith Is Described
1. ''Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.'' (v.1) This is not a definitio ...
There are 18553 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!