This content is part of a series.
Self Control: Never Let Them See You Sweat (9 of 9)
Series: Home Sweet Home
1. I heard about a flight instructor that was sitting Next to his student in their single engine plane, when He said, ''well, I think it's time to take her in for a Landing. Are you ready to go down?'' The student Said, ''no problem, let's do it.''
2. Well, as they were approaching the runway, the Instructor looked at his student and noticed how Calm he was. Normally, students who are coming in for their first landing were nervous, wide-eyed, and sweating bullets. But this young man was as cool as the other side of the pillow. The instructor Thought to himself, ''I cannot believe how calm this Young man is. He will make a great pilot.''
3. But then the plane hit the runway with a thud, bounced fifty feet into the air, hit and bounced Again, ran off the runway and landed upside down in A cornfield. The instructor, still strapped in his Seat upside down, looked at his student and said, ''son, that was the worst first landing any student of mine has ever made.'' The student said, ''me? I thought you were landing the plane.''
4. Now that young pilot may not have been in Control of the plane, but he was in control of Himself. That is the essence of the fruit of the Spirit called ''self-control.'' For self-control is when you are in control when everything else is not.
5. Now the tree of the culture we are living in Today is barren of the fruit of self-control. We are living in a society increasingly out of control. Our society is financially out of control. Americans are the most indebted people on earth, with household debt averaging $71,500, twice that of Great Britain, and eighty-nine times that of Switzerland.1
6. Many Americans are like the professional golfer, Doug sanders, who once said, ''I'm working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can di ...
There are 13208 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.